Welcome to “Mermaids Don’t Do Windows.” Why did I choose that as my blog title (log line)?
Let’s start with the second part of it. I have a weakness. Come closer so I can whisper it. Closer. Cleaning.
It’s my kryptonite, my silver bullet, my poison apple, my spindle…you get the idea. Honestly, with a full-time job at an office, two kids in school, two dogs, laundry, a large garden, bills to pay, stories to write, and a husband, housework is the last thing I want to do.
We have a housekeeper who has cleaned our house
and saved my marriage for over 14 years. Love her! She told my BFF, who recommended her to us, that she knew how much I needed her help. I should probably be embarrassed that my house isn’t spotless. It’s not dirty. I’m not a total slob (whatever you do, don’t open that closet door).
That’s the “Don’t Do Windows” part of my blog. What about the “Mermaid” part?
That’s just plain funny, isn’t it? “Mermaids Don’t Do Windows.” The mermaid is laughing at the idea of cleaning anything at all. I drew her myself (an example of why I’m a writer, not an artist).
I’ve always liked the mythological sea creatures. I decided when I was young that I would be one someday. Yeah, that didn’t happen. I settled for making a life-sized self portrait in a drawing class and writing a novella for a novel class in college. It was about merpeople and a woman who loves the sea. Neither was very good, but that’s my older self laughing a little bit at my younger self.
These things are the tip of the iceberg of who I am beyond wife, mother, and friend:
- A science fiction (sf, not sci-fi) geek who sees a connection between the smart electrical meters being installed on our houses and Skynet from Terminator.
- A skeptic who finds absurdity in odd news and always-changing science discoveries.
- A Spider-Man comic book owner. I collected (Spider-Man and others) for about a decade. One of these days, I’ll do something with them all. In the meantime, the boxes take up a lot of room in my closet. Still thinking about getting #700 Amazing…
- A writer of sf/fantasy. My first adult fantasy novel is complete (I’m not counting the one I wrote in college). My first middle grade novel is a WIP, and I can’t write it fast enough for my daughter. She’s my ultimate beta reader and cattle prod motivator.
These things and more I’ll be writing about here at “Mermaids Don’t Do Windows.”
- There is No Free Lunch–The more grammatically correct and short version of “There ain’t no such thing as a free lunch.” I learned about this theme from my undergrad sf lit professor. What is the price for the Great Wonderful? There is always a cost to individuals, to societies, to galaxies. (Yes, I earned college credit for Science Fiction Literature classes. Heck, I wrote my master’s degree thesis about sf.)
- Postcards from a Parallel Universe–As soon as I figure out my weekly schedule, rather than this post ’em when I write ’em, I’ll let you know.
- Don’t Get Me Wrong–Odd news grabs me. When it does, I’ll post about it. Often there will be some tongue-in-cheek pointing out the obvious. (Who knew that those who get more sleep feel more rested?)
- Chocolate Choices–I’m still playing with the category name, but I love chocolate. Especially dark chocolate. Sometimes we never know what we’ll get when we open up that box of yumminess.
In case you were wondering, I’m not doing this alone. I’m taking a class called Blogging for Brand by Kristen Lamb (social media Jedi master) and have joined the WANA (We Are Not Alone) revolution that she started.
Copyright notice….All images and photos, unless otherwise noted, are mine, mine, mine. Don’t use them without my permission.